SES Staff Work on Relay Configuration During Ratcliffe Riots

October, 2009 Police Line Up at Ratcliffe

Hundreds and possibly thousands of climate change protesters will attempt to close down one of Britain's biggest coal-fired power stations this weekend. The activists will converge on the giant 2,000-megawatt plant at Ratcliffe-on-Soar near Nottingham on Saturday, in what they are calling The Great Climate Swoop, and attempt to halt operations.
The plant, which is owned by the German energy giant E.ON, emits more than 9 million tones of carbon dioxide every year and is one of the largest producers of carbon dioxide in Britain.
E.ON has taken out an injunction which gives police the power to arrest anyone attempting to enter the site, and has hired extra security guards and put up new fencing. A large police presence was expected on Saturday.
However, the activists have said that they will enter the site "by land, water and air".

While hundreds joined a largely peaceful demonstration outside the main gates of German utility E.ON's plant in Ratcliffe-on-Soar, Nottinghamshire, scuffles broke out around the perimeter fence when smaller groups tried to break through in an attempt to close the power station.
One policeman was flown to hospital with head injuries after being hurt while trying to keep people from entering the plant and two others were taken to hospital with minor injuries. Protest organisers said several demonstrators also suffered minor injuries.
Some carried banners saying "RIP Ratcliffe" to highlight their campaign to persuade governments to close coal plants.

Coal generated nearly a third of Britain's electricity last year. However, it creates more carbon dioxide emissions than any other fuel and is the world's single biggest source of carbon emissions.

Nottinghamshire Police said officers were attacked during "concerted efforts to tear down perimeter fencing and enter the site."
There were 80 arrests for a variety of offences, including conspiracy to commit aggravated trespass, aggravated trespass and criminal damage.
Camp for Climate Action, the environmental campaign group behind the protest, said some of its members needed treatment for bruising and dog bites.

"The clashes were inevitable with the police defending the fence around a power station that is causing huge amounts of damage to our climate," spokesman Murray Smith said.

An E.ON spokesman said the plant would continue to operate as normal unless protesters enter operational areas.
"We have increased security and got extra fencing and we are working very closely with police," he said, adding that E.ON is investing heavily in wind power and has plans to close other coal-powered stations.Britain, which has set a legally binding target to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions to at least 80 per cent below 1990 levels by 2050, is seeking ways to reduce its reliance on coal.